HUNGER AND THIRST AFTER GOD – Part two
Sunday, January 16, 2011
As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. Psalms 42:1-2a NKJV
The Dictionary meaning of “thirst” is:
1.) A sensation of dryness in the mouth and throat caused by need of liquid. 2.) The physical condition resulting from this need, in any of various degrees. 3.) Strong or eager desire; craving.
Thirst is not just a physical desire, but also a strong or eager spiritual desire or craving.
The Bible tells us of at least six things we should thirst for:
1. The Living God
• Psalm 42:2 AMP - My inner self thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?
• Psalm 63:10 AMP - God, You are my God, earnestly will I seek You; my inner self thirsts for You, my flesh longs and is faint for You, in a dry and weary land where no water is.
• Psalm 143:6 AMP - I spread forth my hands to You; my soul thirsts after You like a thirsty land [for water]. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!
2. The Word of God
• 1 Peter 2:2 KJV - As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby.
• 1 Peter 2:2 AMP - Like newborn babies you should crave (thirst for, earnestly desire) the pure (unadulterated) spiritual milk, that by it you may be nurtured and grow unto [completed] salvation.
If we want to be blessed by the Lord, then we must thirst for – strongly desire – the Word of God. The Greek word, translated “desire” means; to long for; to pursue with love; to (greatly) long after; greatly desire; earnestly desire.
• Deuteronomy 8:3 AMP - And He humbled you and allowed you to hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you recognize and personally know that man does not live by bread only, but man lives by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.
• Matthew 5:6 AMP - Blessed and fortunate and happy and spiritually prosperous (in that state in which the born-again child of God enjoys His favor and salvation) are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God), for they shall be completely satisfied!
4. Spiritual Waters of Salvation
• John 4:13-14 AMP - Jesus answered her, All who drink of this water will be thirsty again. 14 But whoever takes a drink of the water that I will give him shall never, no never, be thirsty any more. But the water that I will give him shall become a spring of water welling up (flowing, bubbling) [continually] within him unto (into, for) eternal life.
• John 6:35 AMP - Jesus replied, I am the Bread of Life. He who comes to Me will never be hungry, and he who believes in and cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me will never thirst any more (at any time).
• Revelation 22:17 AMP - The [Holy] Spirit and the bride (the church, the true Christians) say, Come! And let him who is listening say, Come! And let everyone come who is thirsty [who is painfully conscious of his need of those things by which the soul is refreshed, supported, and strengthened]; and whoever [earnestly] desires to do it, let him come, take, appropriate, and drink the water of Life without cost.
• Isaiah 55:1-3 AMP - Wait and listen, everyone who is thirsty! Come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Yes, come, buy [priceless, spiritual] wine and milk without money and without price [simply for the self-surrender that accepts the blessing]. 2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your earnings for what does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness [the profuseness of spiritual joy]. 3 Incline your ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy (kindness, goodwill, and compassion) promised to David.
5. Wisdom and Knowledge
• Proverbs 2:1-11 AMP - My son, if you will receive my words and treasure up my commandments within you, 2 Making your ear attentive to skillful and godly Wisdom and inclining and directing your heart and mind to understanding [applying all your powers to the quest for it]; 3 Yes, if you cry out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, 4 If you seek [Wisdom] as for silver and search for skillful and godly Wisdom as for hidden treasures, 5 Then you will understand the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of [our omniscient] God. 6 For the Lord gives skillful and godly Wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He hides away sound and godly Wisdom and stores it for the righteous (those who are upright and in right standing with Him); He is a shield to those who walk uprightly and in integrity, 8 That He may guard the paths of justice; yes, He preserves the way of His saints. 9 Then you will understand righteousness, justice, and fair dealing [in every area and relation]; yes, you will understand every good path. 10 For skillful and godly Wisdom shall enter into your heart, and knowledge shall be pleasant to you. 11 Discretion shall watch over you, understanding shall keep you.
6. Holy Spirit Baptism
• John 7:37-39 AMP - Now on the final and most important day of the Feast, Jesus stood, and He cried in a loud voice, If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink! 38 He who believes in Me [who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] as the Scripture has said, From his innermost being shall flow [continuously] springs and rivers of living water. 39 But He was speaking here of the Spirit, Whom those who believed (trusted, had faith) in Him were afterward to receive. For the [Holy] Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified (raised to honor).