Emmanuel – God With UsFrom The Heart
Publish date: 12/11/2016
Matthew 1:18-24 KJV - “Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. 20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. 22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. 24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife.”
1. We are coming into the season of remembering and celebrating the birth of Jesus.
a. Jesus was not born on December 25th.
d. Verse 18 – the birth of Jesus Christ, not Santa Claus.
c. The birth of Jesus is a historical fact.
• He is 100% God and man.
• God manifest in His flesh.
d. John 3:16-17 KJV - “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”
• May Christ be born in you today.
• John 1:12 KJV - “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.”
2. He is the Word Who became flesh.
a. Remember this: if no manger, no cross. If no cross, no resurrection. If no resurrection, there would be no salvation.
b. This is where the plan of salvation was put into action.
c. Emmanuel, God with us.
• Today, He is not here as the babe in the manger.
• He is not Jesus hanging on the cross.
d. He is the resurrected King of kings and the Lord of lords.
3. Four things Emmanuel did for us.
1. He restored what was lost in the Garden of Eden.
•He restored: relationship, fellowship, dominion, and authority.
• He restored what Adam lost because of sin.
b. Emmanuel brought peace.
• Luke 2:7 KJV - “And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.”
• The Prince of Peace.
• Philippians 4:6-9 KJV - “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.”
• John 14:27 KJV - “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
c. He introduced the Holy Spirit into the Earth.
• John 14:16 KJV - “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.”
• John 14:26 KJV - “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
• Acts 1:8 KJV - “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
• Acts 2
d. He brought joy.
• The joy of the Lord is your strength.
• I bring you glad tidings of great joy.
• Joy to the world the Lord is come.
• The fruit of the Spirit.
4. This morning, we can experience:
• What was lost in the Garden.
• Holy Spirit.
5. It’s time to celebrate.