Seeing Jesus As He Really IsFrom The Heart
Publish date: 12/14/2008Foundation Scriptures: John 1:1-14
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1-14 NKJV
l. If Jesus were around today, He would be kicked out of most churches.
- Jesus was not religious and did not fit in with the religious crowd.
- Jesus was radical. He was unpredictable. He did not do what people thought He would or should do.
- 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 AMP - But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated. 15 But the spiritual man tries all things [he examines, investigates, inquires into, questions, and discerns all things], yet is himself to be put on trial and judged by no one [he can read the meaning of everything, but no one can properly discern or appraise or get an insight into him].
- Jesus was led by the Spirit of God in everything He said and did.
- John 3:34 AMP - For since He Whom God has sent speaks the words of God [proclaims God's own message], God does not give Him His Spirit sparingly or by measure, but boundless is the gift God makes of His Spirit!
- Jesus is not physically here on earth where He can be seen. The only Jesus the world will ever see is in born-again believers, children of God, filled with the Holy Spirit.
- The only way that people can see Jesus in your eyes, hear Jesus in your voice and feel Jesus in your touch is if you allow the Holy Spirit to do a work in you as you obey Him by walking in the love of God toward others and by doing the works of Jesus.
- To get a picture of what Jesus is really like—read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
ll. There are so many different opinions and theories out there about Jesus, but the Gospel portray Him as He really is.
- Jesus said what He meant and He meant what He said.
- The significance of Jesus' words and actions get lost when people try to interpret the bible allegorically or figuratively, instead of literally.
- At the end of his account of Jesus earthly ministry, John says, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did. If they should be all recorded one by one [in detail], I suppose that even the world itself could not contain (have room for) the books that would be written." (John 21:25 AMP)
- The things we need to know about Jesus are written in the four Gospels.
- His Birth; His Life; His Earthly Ministry; His Death; His Resurrection; His Ascension.
- His Birth: Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin. He was 100 percent God and 100 percent man.
- His Life: He led a sinless life even though He was tempted with everything that anyone of us are tempted with.
- Hebrews 4:15 AMP - For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning.
- His Earthly Ministry: Jesus spent 30 years preparing for an earthly ministry that began when He was baptized in water and the Holy Spirit at the River Jordan.
- His earthly ministry lasted about 3 ½ years and 70 percent of that ministry was healing the sick and casting out devils.
- His Death: His death at Calvary was for the sins of the world—the whole world.
- His Resurrection: Jesus was raised up from the dead and He stripped Satan of the keys of death, hell and the grave.
- His Ascension: The angel told the disciples, "This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11a)
- John 14:12 KJV - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
- Jesus sent us another Comforter—the Holy Spirit, who is just like Him—the same Holy Spirit that anointed Jesus.
- This Comforter comes to live in us and with us. This Comforter would allow Jesus to live inside us and to have expression through us in the earth.
- Christian means: little Christ; little anointed one.
- Remember Jesus said, "Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father." (John 14:9) And also, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things. 29 And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him." (John 8:28-29)
- 1 John 4:4 NKJV - You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
- Allow Jesus to live big on the inside of you so that the world may know He is alive!